Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Awesome Horror Theme Songs--For Your Enjoyment


Today is going to be a day for Halloween related theme music. There are truly some creepy themes from some of the horror movies over the last forty years, and in the interest of keeping with the spirit of the Halloween season, I would like to include some of them for your listening pleasure. I am hesitant to place a ranking to any of these themes, because each is unique in their own special way. In my opinion, the creepiest theme song I have heard from any of the horror movies would have to be “Ave Satani” from The Omen, but that is just one man’s opinion. I will let you be the judge this time.

The Omen





This is an interesting theme. In fact, it is entirely in Latin (and actually covered by Gregorian), and I will include the translation of the lyrics. Musically it is a masterpiece, though certainly a disturbing one.

Sanguis Bibimus ("We drink the blood.")
Corpus Edimus ("We eat the body.")
Tolle Corpus Satani! ("Elevate the body of Satan!")
Ave! ("Hail!"),
Ave! Versus Christus! ("Hail, Hail Anti-Christ!")
Ave Satani! ("Hail Satan!")


Nightmare on Elm Street




This is still one the great horror theme songs of all time. Regardless of how you may feel about the franchise, it must be admitted that Wes Craven had good taste when he brought in Charles Bernstein to do the musical score for this film.


Halloween




John Carpenter at his finest. It is interesting to note that Carpenter both directed this film and came up with the musical score, so the man does have many talents. We all know the theme, so no further elaboration is needed.


Psycho




We are reaching back to 1960 here, but this theme is still a timeless masterpiece from Alfred Hitchcock and Bernard Herrmann.


Friday the 13th




Not the most memorable, but certainly we all know the “Ki ki ki” “ma ma ma” that is in every movie of the franchise, and it deserves to at least be on the list because of that.


Phantasm




Often overlooked, I must concede. In fact, if I had not gone out there searching for themes beyond the typical, I might have missed this one.


Rosemary’s Baby




Yeah, this is a creeper. I have not seen Rosemary’s Baby in a long time


The Exorcist




This is known as "Tubular Bells", but still a worthy inclusion.


IT




Yeah, if you are not creeped out by this theme, then you probably have not had the pleasure of watching IT by Stephen King. I’m actually too scared to pick up the book, because I have heard it is far more traumatizing than anything in the movie.


Children of the Corn




OUTLANDER! To be completely honest, I only sat down and watched this movie in its entirety a few weeks ago, even though it came out years ago. I'm not really sure why I never got around to seeing this, outside of a few parts here and there on TV. I think this is a decent theme.

Now, I know I did not get to every horror theme song. Yes, I know I missed Jaws, The Shining, Poltergeist, Amityville Horror, and countless others. But I had to make a judgment on some of the better ones and I believe this is a decent collection.

Enjoy!

Alex Mangie

The Mang

Candidate for Canfield Township Trustee and Conservative Capo of Youngstown

No comments:

Post a Comment