Thursday, November 26, 2009

The Thanksgiving Edition



Today is Thanksgiving. It is a little hard to believe it has already come and that tomorrow officially kicks off the holiday extravaganza—yes, I know tomorrow is Black Friday. My cousin at dinner informed me of her intent to go out at three in the morning to buy herself a 42 inch LCD television, and nothing says holidays like standing outside in the freezing cold waiting to rush the doors and buy a massive television.

I will be braving the stores a little later on as J.C. Penny’s has some pretty good deals. Can you say 70% off pants and dress shirts? I seriously need the pants and the shirts, otherwise I would be staying in bed.

This has been kind of a bittersweet Thanksgiving, as most of the family on my father’s side has passed away over the last two years. It is sad my grandparents and aunts and uncles are no longer with us, but it is kind of a relief to actually have a holiday meal without having to go home feeling angry or depressed. I will admit this was a very unusual thing this year, as there was no fighting, no arguing on the telephone, no snide remarks about the food, and no airing of the grievances like is typical of the Seinfeld holiday “Festivus”. It was just a “normal” holiday without all of the drama, and it is definitely something I can get used to.

We actually spent Thanksgiving with my mom’s side of the family this year. It was good seeing my other cousins for a change, and my aunts and uncles and grandmother who have been quite supportive over the last few years. It is really a shame I was unable to hang out more with my cousins from down in Mansfield over the years, it seems like they would have been a lot of fun to be around. I really need to make it a point to get down there more often, as the reality is they are really all the family I have left. My cousin is turning 21 fairly soon, and she would be a blast to hang out with more often.

There is a lot to be thankful for this year. Family, friends, a good education, health, and work of some kind are just a few. Work is not perfect, but at least it is something.

I am hoping this year is going to be a better year. It is a year of transition, and certainly an end of an era in many respects. As to that remark, I can only say sometimes we need to let go of certain things and move on. It is both a happy and a sad thing, and I guess this is typical of most changes.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone, and have a very enjoyable holiday weekend!

The Mang
Conservative Capo of Youngstown

No comments:

Post a Comment