Friday, July 31, 2009

Cars.gov: And You Thought Government Wiretaps Were Out of Line!

I missed the news earlier today, and I had to find out from my dad about this one. He told me at dinner that if you wanted to go to Cars.gov to get the $4,500 for your car, you would have to sign this privacy policy that states that if you log in, your system is considered a federal system and is subject to monitoring, audits, and investigation.

I questioned this, so I had to go look it up for myself. Glenn Beck brought this to life, and regardless of your own personal opinions about Glenn Beck, it is pretty hard to discount what he showed on the video today. Sure enough, after doing my own investigating, I found this to be basically true.

The text of the privacy statement is this: "This application provides access to the DoT CARS system. When logged on to the CARS system, your computer is considered a Federal computer system and is the property of the U.S. Government. Any or all uses of this system and all files on this system may be intercepted, monitored, recorded, copied, audited, inspected, and disclosed to authorized CARS, DoT, and law enforcement personnel, as well as authorized officials of other agencies, both domestic and foreign".

WOW. What a mouthful that is. Rockwell may have been right: "Always seems like somebody's watching me!" And the Democrats bitched and complained about wiretaps! What about THIS? All using the excuse of protecting you, the consumer and taxpayer, from fraud.

If you ask me, it all sounds very hipocritical, not to mention dangerous as hell. If you want to talk about the slippery slope to lost freedom, you may want to take a good and hard look at this. Government telling you that if you access the site your personal property now belongs to them is a very dangerous thing. This time they can access everything, not just a simple phone conversation you have.

Hmm, I hear crickets. Any comments or thoughts on this are welcome, and if you think I am wrong by all means let me know about it.

The Mang

Conservative Capo of Youngstown

No comments:

Post a Comment