Friday, September 4, 2009

Dazed and Confused: Awesome Movie, Just Have to Say...


A couple things before going into tonight’s article.


I am looking forward to going to the Traficant Party at Mr. Anthony’s on Sunday, so if anyone is going, let me know.


Second of all, if anyone is going out to the Canfield Fair, stop in at the Republican booth and see me. I will be there after 6:00 most days, except for Sunday if anyone wants to stop in and hang out for a little bit. It is past the Grandstands and it is kind of hard to miss.


As for tonight’s article, I am going to deviate from the political issues temporarily because I think we can all use a break. Not that there are not important things going on, just it is almost the weekend and, well, everyone is working for the weekend and I wanted to keep things light tonight.


I started back at work a couple of days ago but didn’t have to go in until late. So I hung out at home in the morning and came across the movie “Dazed and Confused” on HBO. For whatever the reason, this is a movie I have only seen bits and pieces of over the years. I never had the opportunity to sit and watch it all the way through, and luckily this time I was able to. It was pretty ironic I came across this movie when I did, because I think my friend Abbie and I were talking about this like a week ago.


As most of America knows, this movie was hilarious, and surprisingly accurate for the times from people I have talked to who went to high school back in the 70s. Friends who went to Girard, Austintown, Boardman, and Struthers who were around during those times had stories similar to the events of this movie, which makes it all the more interesting.


Honestly, I am not sure if there is a movie out there that better embodies the phrase “sex, drugs, and rock and roll”. The 70s were a time where kids could actually be kids, the music was awesome (more on that in a little bit), the clothes were interesting, and it was okay to have fun without having to worry about some of the crazy stuff we see today. Were bad decisions made? Sure, but a ton of bad decisions are made today too. Really it depends on the context, and frankly, I think I would prefer some of the problems in the 70s to the problems we are having now. Not that the 70s did not have its downsides, of course.


My days in Canfield High were tame and boring compared to those days. I mean, I was not the most popular person out there, but we did not really have anything like this that was so apparent. Maybe someone can correct me on this, and I could be completely wrong in my thinking.


No senior kill days, that is for sure. If you throw a pencil in class, you are on your way to suspension and expulsion in some places. Punishments are way too excessive these days, and schools are filled with overreaction and overkill on the smallest things. Some things need to be punished, but damn. But enough about that.


The music in “Dazed and Confused” is by far one of the better collections of 70s hits I’ve seen. In fact, after watching, I seriously went and bought the two CDs that make up the soundtrack for a grand total of $8.95. We are talking Steve Miller Band, Peter Frampton, Rick Derringer, Alice Cooper, KISS, ZZ Top, Deep Purple, Ted Nugent, and a host of others. If you want a good fix of classic rock, I would encourage picking up these CDs. You’d be doing yourself a disservice if you do not pick them up.


A lot of good lines in this movie too, but I will leave you with one of the best:


“That's what I love about these high school girls, man. I get older, they stay the same age.”

With those creepy but hilarious words, have a great night. Enjoy the Youtube video below. And get those damn CDs, trust me on this.


The Mang
Conservative Capo of Youngstown


No comments:

Post a Comment