Saturday, September 26, 2009

Youngstown’s Best Spaghetti Sauce: If You Want Controversy, You Found It-Part 1


As far as I’m concerned, this article is more controversial than anything I have ever written. Sports and politics are a mere nuisance compared to this subject: who has the best spaghetti sauce in Youngstown, OH (and the surrounding areas)? In fact, the only thing perhaps more controversial than this is who has the best pizza, and frankly I am not sure I can stand up to the criticism on that topic. One thing is for certain here: we have more Italian restaurants per capita than any place in the U.S., and I would be willing to bet any money on that right now.

When it comes to sauce, I am a connoisseur of sorts. Most of you know me to be very particular about Italian food and often it is a source for some of my rants and complaints on a regular basis. The only problem with that is everyone else considers themselves to be an expert, and hence I will probably write this and find myself in some sort of fist fight because someone else thinks they know better. Crazier things have happened I suppose.

Part 1: 12-6. I will post the top 5 tomorrow.

Let me start off with the ones that are definitely not going to make the list. Olive Garden automatically is off because frankly, their sauce is lousy. The fact they have thirty different varieties about sums up why—just because there is more choice does not mean it is better. How on earth that restaurant possibly is packed consistently is truly an anomaly, and this writer is often baffled by that.

Carrabba’s is off the list. Now, the sauce here is not nearly as bad as Olive Garden. I have noticed they skimp on the sauce, but actually I have had plenty worse sauces than this. It is passable and I would have no problem going here. Is it even in the top 10? I think not.

Now for the best—and the criticism I am sure. Looking at these places, these are harder to rank than I originally thought.

12.) Blue Wolf: I have frequented the Blue Wolf a number of times in the past, and it is one of my favorite places to go. The sauce here is interesting though. When I get the chicken parmesan, it comes with a side of spaghetti. On the chicken, the sauce is outstanding. On the pasta, the sauce is not that good. It is the damndest thing I have ever seen and this has to be the only place this has happened to me.

11.) MVR: You are probably thinking to yourself, “Damn, is he serious?” Well, I love the MVR. I think it is an awesome place and they have some good food. It has a great environment (except for that one room that is newer with those big tables), bocce, and a cool bar. But in terms of the sauce? Believe it or not, the sauce there is hit or miss. Sometimes it is great, and sometimes it is pretty bad. It tends to be a little thick, and when they are having a bad night, it is usually pretty noticeable.

10.) Angenetta’s: I have not been to Angenetta’s in almost a year, but that is probably because I have been in Columbus. This is one of Canfield’s better restaurants and it is by the high school. The problem is while the sauce is very good, the ambiance is not that good, and it sometimes detracts from the meal itself. This is an unusual statement, because it should be about the sauce. But while it is good, I believe if the setup of the restaurant was better, I’d probably enjoy it a lot more.

10.) Pascarella’s: This is the Poland equivalent of Angenetta’s, except the atmosphere of the place compliments the sauce instead of taking away from it. They tend to skimp a little on the sauce, however, which is a problem. I will rank Pascarella’s and Angenetta’s equally, though I have to give slight favor to Pascarella’s.

8.) The Fireplace: This is a place that has known two locations during its existence—one on the South Side and one at 5 Points. I have gone to the Fireplace a lot over the years except for recently. I have been in the mood for their sauce and I hope to get back over there soon. What can I say? It is a good sauce. When I go here I get the ravioli or the cavatelli usually, because they give a pretty decent amount and the sauce works well. This is not so much the case with the spaghetti in my honest opinion, but maybe I am just mincing things here. Overall it is very good.

7.) Antones: I am sure everyone who lives in Mahoning/Trumbull/Columbiana counties have eaten here at least one time at some point. In fact, it is kind of hard to avoid since there are so many these days (both under the Antone’s name and under other names like Jeremiah Bullfrog’s/ Oscar’s). Consistently the sauce is good here, and actually it is good for carryout if you are on your lunch break and want something decent to eat in a hurry. Hat’s off to Ross and Chad Scianna.

6.) Avalon Gardens: A North Side Italian stronghold. Neighborhood is not the best, but it is worth the trip. Usually known for its Brier Hill pizza, it also has very good pasta (and smelts which are hard to come by on demand these days, but I digress). Have to give them credit, they usually do not skimp on the sauce (that is a major thing with me if you have not realized that yet) and the sauce itself is good on all of the dishes that have sauce on them.

That was the 6-12. I will not reveal the top 5 until tomorrow, but I can give you some hints to where they are at. Boardman, Struthers, Warren, Sharon, and Youngstown.
In the meantime, I will look forward to immense criticism on these picks.

Alex Mangie
The Mang
Candidate for Canfield Township Trustee and Conservative Capo of the Mahoning Valley

2 comments:

  1. Alex,
    I agree with the MVR. I used to work there. I, too, am a connoisseur of sauce and I make a very nice sauce myself which I will give you a couple jars of the next time I see you.
    Love the blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very interesting Mang. Your right about Olive Garden...pretty bad! People who don't know what real Italian sauce is like would like it there haha.

    ReplyDelete