Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Cimarron's Steak House and Slick Willie's Family Pool Hall in OKC!




Today I began to realize that traveling alone can be a lonely thing. Personally, I hate eating alone. I mean, I absolutely HATE it. It is not even so much an issue of the company rather than looking like a complete lame ass sitting at a booth or table by myself. I mean, there is a legitimate reason why that may be: I’m here on business and there is no one to go out with. If there is a bar, I will usually go there and eat because it does not look nearly as awkward. The waitress probably is thinking, “Shit, I have to wait on this one guy and my tip is going to be shit”. It is what it is.

In light of that, today was actually a pretty good day. Work went smoothly (thank God), and the people I worked with were very nice and personable. This has not always been the case, and I have found it is usually the workers at the stores outside the cities that are nicer and easier to work with. There are the exceptions of course, but largely this holds true.

I had an awesome steak tonight, regardless of the fact I was once again eating alone. It was at this cool place known as Cimarron Steak House. The inside was really interesting to look at: there were wagons hung from the ceiling and about forty or so saddles. There was also a ton of pictures, as well as deer heads and such. And the steak was very, very good. A guy can get spoiled here off the steak in Oklahoma: done perfectly, seasoned correctly, and juicy. Back home it is hit or miss unfortunately, so I will enjoy the steak I am not paying for while I can.

Tonight I decided to try my hand at some pool. There is a massive pool hall known as “Slick Willie’s Family Pool Hall”, though I am more than certain the world family was an error on the part of the owner.

First of all, I love pool halls. I have a certain affinity for them and if I could I would hang out in one routinely, if not on a daily basis. There is just something about them that I love, and they are almost nostalgic in a way since they are not nearly as common place as they once used to be. I always think of James Dean, Frank Sinatra, and Marilyn Monroe when I think of pool halls, which may be why I am so attracted to them. Mind you, I am not the best pool player, but damn it, I don’t care. Anyone who has seen me play pool knows I cannot break worth a damn, but the rest of my game is passable. Not great, but I can put up a decent fight.

Now, this pool hall is AWESOME. AWESOME, AWESOME, AWESOME. I mean it in every sense of the word. First, you have a ton of pool tables, so it is not a problem getting a table. Second, you have these hot girls that work the place. They are wearing these sleeveless tuxedo like outfits (maybe you would equate them with the female version of a Chippendale), and they basically set you up with your drinks and your table, and come around every five minutes to check on you. I love that, seriously. Thirdly, you have the jukebox, which is fantastic. I am also a sucker for jukeboxes. And lastly, it is 18 and older, so no kids can come in. That guarantees everyone there is legal, and it eliminates the vast majority of the high school crowd.

The problem is they get you on the alcohol. I ended up paying $17 for two hours of pool and a couple of Bud-Lites. When I go back (probably every day until I leave for at least an hour), I will not drink anything. Rather I will simply play pool, or at least have one drink so those girls keep coming around.

One thing I doubt I will be trying is the strip club next door. I am curious though, because the place is crammed with people from the looks of the parking lot. Back in Youngstown, where I have heard the quality is not very good, those places are not very busy. Here though, the quality must be spectacular, since there is really nowhere to park. On my salary I cannot afford it, so I probably will not make a stop. If I was comp’ed for it, I would, but try turning THAT in on the expense report.

It turns out Oklahoma State if a few hours to the north, so I doubt I will be making a trip up there to that campus. I am looking for some other things to do before I leave Saturday, so hopefully I will have more to write about tomorrow.

My best,

The Mang
Conservative Capo of Youngstown and Oklahoma City

No comments:

Post a Comment