Thursday, August 13, 2009

Oklahoma City! More from The Mang




Oklahoma is an interesting place. The more I go out looking around at stuff, the more I enjoy it. There really is a lot to do out here, contrary to what I thought originally. I am planning on going to the major universities soon, check out the botanical gardens downtown, head over to the memorial for the Oklahoma City bombing that happened a few years back, and check out this cowboy museum that seems to be world renowned from what I hear around here. There is supposed to be a huge statue of Reagan out there as well which I am interested in going to see. Hopefully I will get down to Dallas this weekend as well.

There are massive cornfields out here too. I was driving back from my last store today and saw this vast cornfield that seemed to go on forever. It seemed to go for a few miles and had to be a few miles deep. Whatever the size, it was nothing like I have seen in Ohio.

The route the GPS took me on was off of the major highway system, and for miles around there was nothing but plains, plains, and more plains. There literally is nothing out here in some areas, which is actually pretty awesome (and scary as hell if you are low on gas). It is easy to rock out to Steppenwolf as you are driving around out here, even without the motorcycle. And speaking of Easy Rider, I kind of want to try and find the Historic Route 66, and though it technically does not exist anymore, it lives on renamed Oklahoma Route 66. I might try and drive some of it Sunday and see some of the sites that are on it. While I am pretty sure the route those guys took in Easy Rider was not through the Oklahoma part of Route 66, it would still be cool to actually drive part of it.

Switching gears, I have received a few questions about the steak out here. I will tell you the steak is very good. Though I wanted to try and stop at the Stockyards and go to Cattleman’s, which is well known for its steaks in Oklahoma City, I decided against it when I saw the line of 20 people standing outside trying to get in. Apparently it is always this way, and it happened to be a Monday night. I ended up at Santa Fe Cattle Company, which is a small chain that operates primarily in Oklahoma and Alabama, and has a handful of stores scattered throughout the South. I had a great steak there that had no excess fat and was cooked perfectly.

I decided to try this Italian chain tonight, simply out of curiosity to see what Oklahoma has to offer in the way of Italian food. The worst of my fears were realized, and it is a shame. The place I went to is called Primo’s, and the restaurant itself has a great atmosphere. In fact, the atmosphere and design of the bar is something I wish we had more of back home. Quieter, darker, you know, reminiscent of a bar you might see in one of the older mob movies. Good atmosphere, good music, bad food. Being Italian myself, I am highly critical of the quality of Italian food more so than the quality of a steak. The sauce was heavy on the basil, far too chunky for a parmesan, and the sauce was not tossed. I wanted to offer my expertise in the area, but the bartender wanted to talk about the Sooners, which is cool, because it is a nice change to hear about the Big 12 from the perspective from someone other than a Big 10 fan.

Believe it or not, he said he thinks Ohio State will beat USC. I think he is the first person I have heard say this so far this year.

I also walked around downtown tonight, since I could not make it out there during the day today. The downtown is great and it seems like there is a lot of stuff to do nearby. I hear Bricktown is a cool place and would be worth checking out. I understand there is some decent night life there.

Oh, and to Mr. Ramon Ramos, there IS a Garth Brooks Boulevard in case you were wondering. I know you have this love for country music, as you informed me prior to my leaving on this trip. I am still waiting for my damn mix tape of your finest country music. I wanted to hear some Charlie Daniels, but he was conspicuously absent because someone forgot to make me a CD. I hope you are happy with yourself.

I’ll have more tomorrow.

The Mang


Conservative Capo of Youngstown and now of Oklahoma City

No comments:

Post a Comment