Thursday, August 13, 2009

Oklahoma City: Myriad Botanical Gardens and Other Stuff







It is only day four in OKC and I have had a pretty interesting experience so far. There are toll roads out here that you do not know are toll roads until you take the exit. These tolls are unmanned and they go off the merit system. Unfortunately, they only take exact change (and no greenbacks), so I was perplexed as to what to do, particularly since I could not turn around. I expect I will be getting a ticket soon.

No matter where you are, someone is always tailing you. You could turn onto a road and see no one coming, and then all of a sudden there is some guy that came out of nowhere riding two feet off your bumper. Where he came from, I do not know, but when you have an Impala with the economy engine you cannot pick up enough speed to lose him. Traffic is actually heavy out here, much to my surprise, and I have seen traffic in this city worse than Columbus at times.

Enough about the driving though, where the hell did you go today Mang?

After work I ended up downtown today to check out this massive conservatory that is known as the “Myriad Botanical Gardens”. It is actually quite an amazing place, and I cannot remember the last time I had been inside of a conservatory. You can see a few pictures above, but there are also about 80 pictures on my Facebook page from my trip over there.

The building itself is like a huge, horizontal cylinder. There are fountains and gardens outside which are very nice, and it was a great day to walk around to see what the place had to offer. The skyline is right behind the conservatory, so it really makes for a great view.

Inside there are plants from six of the seven continents, with waterfalls and streams and a number of these gold and black butterflies which are pretty cool: they have great taste in colors after all. There are also a few salamanders that jump from plant to plant that were interesting.

The entire structure is filled to the brim with plants, flowers, and trees that stretch to the ceiling, and there are about three levels you can go through that have different plants from the different continents. The pictures speak for themselves.

Overall it was a really good experience to see this. It is not often you find a city with a conservatory of this size right downtown.

Tomorrow is Friday and I am undecided on what to do after work. I drove through Bricktown on my way downtown and it looked like a fun place to go. I will probably make a trip to the Oklahoma City memorial on Sunday and try to get to Dallas on Saturday sometime.

That is all for now.

The Mang
Conservative Capo of Youngstown and Oklahoma City

No comments:

Post a Comment