Sunday, August 2, 2009

Columbus This Time Last Year: Lookback







I can’t believe it has already been a year since I moved down to Columbus. This time last year, I was looking at apartment buildings, getting ready to start at Ohio State, wrapping up my old job with my uncle, and having anxiety attacks daily because this was all very new to me and I was not sure how to handle it. Looking back, it probably was not as big of a deal as I made it out to be, though I can also understand why I felt the way I did.

The music that definitely sticks out in my mind from that time was the collection of 60s music I burned. There was 10 CDs, so they got a lot of playing time I as drove back and forth from home to do the apartment searching. Every time I hear Tommy James and the Shondells, Jefferson Airplane, or Sonny and Cher I think about when I first got down here.

It was a pretty exciting and scary experience at the same time being on my own the first time. The first week down here, it was hot as hell. And I mean it was beastly hot. As it happened, there was also that huge windstorm that blew out the power for three days. My roommate and I decided to walk down the UDF to get ice to protect the $200 in groceries we bought the day before, as the wind kept blowing and trees were falling down around us. That is not a joke either. UDF was all the way down on High Street, and you could actually hear the trees cracking at the base under the pressure of the wind on Starr Avenue. Trees were down in the middle of the road, and even after walking through all of that, we got back with a couple bags of half melted ice. I think we ended up listening to the Steelers on the radio that night with our neighbor Dave while eating chips and salsa and playing Apples to Apples. We also had a shit load of candles on the porch and we just hung around outside. Looking back, that was a pretty fun time.

I was fortunate to have a good roommate too. We go back a few years to undergrad back at Youngstown State so we both kind of knew what to expect. There were no major surprises, and I think we may have fought over something one time in the entire year we’ve been here. I cannot say that for other people I know, so I think we both lucked out. It only sucks because we are both fairly indecisive people, and making a decision on anything from food to other stuff can sometimes be a pain in the ass. It is fun though, we always bust on each other about something.

School of course was interesting. I do have a few regrets about my initial approach to it. Not so much about the program itself, but my overall attitude. I have my own theories on what happened, but I need to work on a few things for future reference. I did make some awesome friends down here though, and even though I may have slacked on the school work to do more things socially and unrelated to school work, I can’t say I would have changed anything in regards to my work load. Also, Ohio State football rocks, even though we are probably going to get our asses kicked against USC this year like we did about this time last year.

Though a lot of bad things happened in my family last year, my time in Columbus was awesome, and I expect another awesome year this year, whether I am in Columbus, Youngstown, Pittsburgh, or anywhere else.

Truly Yours,

The Mang
Conservative Capo of Youngstown and Friend

No comments:

Post a Comment