Monday, August 17, 2009

Mang in Dallas!


The storms are rolling into Oklahoma City tonight and I have an awesome view from my hotel room. It really is quite a sight to see, now that I finally got used to the idea of being able to see storms without any kind of obstruction like back in Ohio. It was like this a week ago tonight when the violent storms came in. This time at least I am aware of how they will be like and can actually enjoy watching them. It is so flat out here that you can see miles around in any direction, and hence you will see, well, everything. It is really a beautiful sight, and probably the only thing I can compare it to would be seeing a storm come in off the ocean. It is a hell of a light show, just I’d prefer to not be driving in it.

So I went down to Dallas yesterday and had a pretty awesome time. I shot a lot of footage, but work ran late today and I did not have the opportunity to make Mang’s Monday version from Dallas. But rest assured, I will have the video footage up next week, along with the pictures. Actually, the pictures should be up soon.

Texas is quite the place. It was the first time I had ever been there, and hopefully it will not be the last. While a single day in Texas hardly can do the place a justice, I was happy I was able to see some of the major attractions in Dallas, however brief my time.

I first stopped at the Dallas World Aquarium, which came highly recommended from a number of sources. It was definitely worth the price of admission. There was a pretty cool penguin exhibit, along with a ton of other things: sharks, alligators, monkeys, a huge ass sloth (which ironically is not nearly as lazy as some people I know), and so forth. And by the way, the toucan is officially my favorite bird now. I mean, how is a toucan not awesome? The ones I saw seemed to have a lot of personality too. I took some footage of some of the toucans and hopefully it will fit in with the video.

I next made a stop at the 6th Floor Museum, which is the museum dedicated to the memory of John F. Kennedy. It was a great experience. The museum is on the 6th and 7th floor of the book depository from which Lee Harvey Oswald shot JFK in Dealey Plaza. You could actually see where Oswald took his shots as well as the actual vantage point. The museum was interesting, and though I was not allowed to take pictures of anything, I did get some good shots of the building, the plaza, and the underpass. Lots of history of how the assassination occurred and its aftermath. I would recommend checking it out for anyone in the area.

I stopped at Reunion Tower, which is the major observation tower in Dallas. I wanted to go to the observation deck, but discovered that even after the building itself reopened the observation deck was still closed. I got some decent pictures of it, but am a little disappointed I couldn’t go to the top.

I also ended up at this BBQ place known as Sonny Bryan’s. I heard it was supposed to be pretty good, and it lived up to the hype. Got some pretty good pulled pork and beef brisket, though the portions were admittedly on the smaller side. I was actually surprised by the portions given everything in Texas is supposed to be bigger. Oh well, it still tasted great.


That was pretty much the day, since I only had about 5 hours to spend there. I spent five hours driving to and from Dallas-Fort Worth, which ate up a lot of the time that day. But it was cool, got to see the downtown area and a lot of the stuff within it. Hopefully someday I will go back.


The Mang

Conservative Capo of Youngstown and Oklahoma City (and Dallas for a day)

No comments:

Post a Comment