Saturday, August 29, 2009

Falling Back Into Jazz


I have been trying to listen to more jazz these days, as well as bossa nova. I usually do this every time it gets to be Fall, because something feels right about it. Mind you, I am not an expert on jazz by any stretch. I cannot really tell the artists apart like I can with different guitar styles from the classic rock genre, but jazz on the whole is something I have been trying to appreciate more. Miles Davis, Dave Brubeck, Vince Guaraldi, Stan Getz, and Charlie Byrd are a handful of artists I’ve picked up to name a few.

I have always been more laid back, which is why I prefer a jazz club or lounge to a place that has extremely loud music. Typically, those places are crowded to the max for one, and secondly you cannot hear shit and have to yell at the top of your lungs to be heard by anyone. It is not that those places are not fun to go to from time to time, but I am really more into chilling than being in one of those kinds of environments.

Smoky bars, lounges, and pool halls are really more of the environments I enjoy. They are all places you can just chill and relax. They had a lot of those in Sinatra’s time. Lounges were fairly abundant, and going out to jazz clubs was commonplace on the weekends. There was a certain class about those places that simply does not exist today. It is really a shame too.

It is fairly hard to find a decent jazz club or lounge these days. Those kinds of places can only be found in the metropolitan areas, and unfortunately here in Youngstown, we are limited to mostly the unsatisfying clubs that play rap constantly. As a side note, I do not know how rap as a genre has remained around for as long as it has, but when it dies, I will be there.

I can appreciate almost every genre of music out there, but rap still remains a mystery on my list. Not to be a traitor to my generation, but, in short, it sucks worse than my friend Jim Shaw.

Jazz as a style is very interesting, and it has evolved over the years. There are so many different variations that have developed that it is hard to keep track of all of them. As mentioned above, I am a fan of bossa nova as well as other styles like cool jazz and jazz fusion. But there are so many other different variations, it would take a significant amount of time to get through and appreciate the other styles.

I have included a few songs for you to enjoy. The first is by Miles Davis, the second is by Stan Getz, and the third is by Herbie Hancock.
-
Enjoy!

The Mang
Conservative Capo of Youngstown and Enjoyer of Jazz






No comments:

Post a Comment