Sunday, August 2, 2009

New "Elm Street" in 2010: Monday's Mang Postponed a Week


First of all, Monday’s Mang is on a temporary hiatus this week. I am traveling and do not have the equipment I need to make the video. I have the video capabilities, but I need the audio equipment because the microphone on my computer sucks. Unfortunately, it is at home. However, we will be in Oklahoma next week and we will have a show from out there. Now, onto today’s topic.

I came across something quite intriguing today. It is something I have mixed feelings on and cannot say I am entirely thrilled about. What I am talking about is the 2010 remake of the Wes Craven classic “A Nightmare on Elm Street”.

I am a “Nightmare” fan and have always have been. One of the most well known horror flicks of the 80s, the movie was legendary and almost iconic at the time for young and impressionable minds like mine and others. In school, it was all people could talk about around Halloween: Jason Voorhees, Michael Myers, and of course, Freddy Krueger, the unholy trio of silver screen killers. We have seen the remakes of Halloween and Friday the 13th, and now we will see a remake of A Nightmare on Elm Street.

The Nightmare franchise has had its ups and downs over the years. Certainly the movie series has become cheesier over time and the acting has gone downhill. Some fans hate every sequel past the original because of this. However, I believe the original movie (and the second chapter, Freddy’s Revenge) were worthy as legitimate horror flicks. Anything past the second chapter I treat in a separate category: hilariously bad. I love the sequels, because Freddy was hilarious and mildly disturbing—not scary however. I think in one of the sequels Freddy popped his head through the door and yelled “Where’s the bourbon!?”, as he was dressed in a tux or something crazy like that. It was just funny as hell.

I found “A New Nightmare” to be disturbing and very well done, which is a sequel of sorts. This is another movie I treat separately from the original and the other sequels.

I enjoyed “Freddy vs. Jason” immensely. The movie definitely had its moments and at times was pretty funny. Definitely the movie was for the fans, and it had been talked about years and years before it came out. I remember being at the swimming pool when I was younger with a few friends talking about how cool it would be to see this movie made. I was not disappointed.

The problem is the remake of the original movie. As with all remakes, they never quite live up to the hype. I do not doubt that the movie is going to be interesting and I intend to go see it. However, I remain skeptical when these things come out. I maintain the old adage that if it is not broke, don’t fix it!

To be perfectly honest, I think I would be happier with a sequel that is extremely well done than a re-creation of the original. An extension of a series is something very different than trying to recreate an original. You risk ruining a good thing if the film is done badly.

We can always hope that the remake is done well, however, and I truly hope the producers do this movie the justice it deserves. It has potential to be an MANGTASTIC movie, but it also has the potential to be a huge flop. Unfortunately, we will not know until the day it comes out. But in the meantime, I look forward to an interesting movie, however bad or good it might be.

The Mang
Conservative Capo of Youngstown

No comments:

Post a Comment